[Coco] Tonight's total lunar eclipse...

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Dec 20 22:56:12 EST 2010

On Monday, December 20, 2010 09:00:35 pm Aaron Banerjee did opine:

> Gene,
>     Just from the output you provided, it probably is.  I got it out
> of "Astronomy" magazine back in '86 and got it to work on my coco.  I
> wrote it in "true blue" Extended BASIC.  We didn't have those fancy
> "double precision" numbers, so I used what we had.  If your original
> BASIC program refers to "ET" instead of UT, it's the same one...  It
> would be nice to know that something I actually did for the coco is
> still out there...
>                            - Aaron

ISTR I got it from one of the other computer magazines at the time, and may
even have that puppy squirreled way in the basement, no doubt included in
some of the other ton or so worth of magazines I've never thrown but should
have.  No idea if it was Byte, or Compute!, or any one of about a dozen
more.  I also have a few Astronomy mags, but I can't seem to convince
myself I got it from one of those.  Your time frame seems about a year late
if you did that in '86, but then my memory could well be suffering from wear
out too.  I'd bought a coco3 in '87 or '88, and I know I had it running on
an old coco2 before I bought my first coco3.  I do recall I magic markered
the word Eclipse on the cover of it, so I possibly could find it while
looking for my also missing round tuit.  I'll post if I do.

The sequence was that I was looking for something to exercise that trig.l
that Lonnie had published in the RB and I had built, and that eclipse
program seemed to be the ideal candidate to check some of its 17 digit
doubles with.  That was likely only a month or 6 weeks after the trig.l was
published.

Stupid Q:  Did that library of double precision transcendentals ever make
it to RTSI?  If not, that is another package I could pack up and put on my
web page.

That is, if I could get to it, I've been trying to figure out a way to make
lha211b actually compress the data on that seagate, and put the smunched
file on a 40 meg quantum drive I also -had- cabled up till just now.  But a
dir -e of the old maxtor/ar.stf I copied to that seagate 9 years back from
a maxtor 7120s, goes south, and when I fire off ded to look at the file
structure, I find a floppy image of a 35SSDD diskette has overwritten about
630 sectors worth of os9 data.  I can probably fix it with ded given enough
time by just de-allocating that area and nulling the directory names and
running dcheck to get the bogons in the allocation map, IF its just that
single directory, but I suspect it isn't.  Grrrrr, darnit I did this with
the first B&B I ever had too.

Then if I can get that 20 year old maxtor to spin up one more time, I can
dsave it and at least put that section of it back to 9 years ago status.
This sucks dead toads through soda straws...

Assuming I can get a clean dcheck report, the next thing I'll be looking
for is a real backup program, from the viewpoint of being spoiled rotten
because I'm using amanda here on this linux box.  It absolutely must be
capable of compressing mostly text source files to not more than 20% of the
original size, and handle the compression duties through !pipes! into it,
with the output pipe then feeding the disk file compressed data plus
filemarks & filenames for recovery purposes.  Suggestions welcomed, even
including my re-writing bru1.2 again to make it use a compressor, the $64k
question being which one.

Aha! got it, I just found a tar.c in the c.src tree, and that doesn't look
to be a contaminated tree.  But, I don't believe I ever compiled it, so it
looks like I hook the Quantum P40S back up and build me a c compiler
environment on it since the seagate should be treated as read-only till I
get that sorted.

According to the help files, this tar can use stdout, so all I need now is a
good compression utility that can handle stdin and stdout.  What do the
rest of the oldtimers here remember about ar2?

Is anyone going to stay up and watch the eclipse tonight?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)