[Coco] Success! FOCAL lives again!

Wayne Campbell asa.rand at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 16:48:57 EST 2010

I chuckled when I read this. I'm sure you may already know this, but in case
you don't, Basic09 *is* an interpreted BASIC language. The difference
between it and other interpreted BASIC languages is that Basic09 can be
"packed" into a pseudo-object code known as I-Code (for Intermediate Code).
RunB interprets the instructions saved in I-Code format and passes the
instructions on to the processor as actual opcode instructions. Because of
the way the instructions are stored (RPN), RunB is able to interpret the
instructions faster than other interpreted BASICs.

While line numbers are not *required* for every line, you can emulate an
interpreted BASIC program by a) numbering every line, and b) running the
program in Basic09 (instead of the command line). Because of the debugging
feature of Basic09, the program will run a little slower in Basic09 that it
would packed and run from the command line.

Wayne