[Coco] One Man Unix

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Fri Dec 17 20:03:04 EST 2010

On 18/12/2010 2:19 AM, gene heskett wrote:
> On Friday, December 17, 2010 10:13:09 am John Kent did opine:
>
>> has anyone played with 6809 OMU on the CoCo ?
>>
>> http://tallyho.bc.nu/~steve/omu.html
>>
>> John.
> The site makes an interesting read, but we are already doing quite a bit
> more than that, particularly in the multitasking area, with nitros9.
> Hard drives have been usable for nominally 20 years, including automatic
> booting from them for a good decade.
>
> This corresponds nominally to os9 level one where the machine only had 64k
> and no memory management.  CoCo3's can now have up to 2 megabytes of ram
> for starters, and Paul Barton's rig had 8 megs IIRC.

Hi Gene,

Yes, I was just curious that he managed to compile Unix V7 utilities to
run under it.
There didn't seem to be much in the way of source code.
I was wondering if I could write a multi-tasking kernel for it that
supported extended memory.
OS9 is OK. It just seems to do things a little differently to UNIX in
places.

John.

--
http://www.johnkent.com.au