[Coco] Glenside IDE booting problems

Don Johnson coco at fivejohnsons.com
Thu Dec 2 22:10:38 EST 2010

On 2010-12-02, at 7:01 PM, Christopher Hawks wrote:

> gene heskett said the following on 12/02/2010 07:50 PM:
>> On Thursday, December 02, 2010 08:31:13 pm Don Johnson did opine:
>>
>>> Sorry, I don't see anything being printed on the other than
>>>
>>> 		OS9 BOOT
>>>
>>> 		 FAILED
>>>
>> 1. Please don't top post, position your reply under the question asked so
>> that it reads like a normal conversation, from top to bottom.  That is many
>> times easier for following the conversation.  Then, because we're all out
>> of sync now, I'll trim the rest of this.
>>
>> 2. If it found and loaded and ran the boottrack from track 34, it should
>> have at least printed the "KREL boot" string.  Since it did not, and to
>> refresh my thinking, the next question is:  Were you booting from a floppy
>> in drive0?
>>
>> If yes, you should be able to watch the mb script as it runs and see if it
>> reported any errors, so would you please re-run that and double check that
>> there were no module not found errors as it runs?  Your renaming may have
>> made an error 216 out of something.
>>
>> Another item I have found to be handy is to move the 'del bttrack' or
>> whatever its called in the mb script to a point above where the 'merge'
>> command builds it, so that when the script is done, the boottrack will be
>> left and inspectable by some of the tools available to os9/nitros9 if you
>> do have a working all floppy boot.  I am thinking of my 'vfy' command in
>> particular as it reports the true internal name of the module it is
>> scanning in a multimodule file, which both the boottrack and os9boot files
>> are.
>>

> Gene:
>
> 	He is using OS9 _not_ Nitros. That is all the info you get on the screen.

Ahh, well that would explain the no diagnostics display I suppose.  I'm afraid I don't have a copy of Nitros handy here either, and have no way of creating a disk as I don't have a drive wire setup yet, and no old pc (or new pc) kicking around with a 5 1/4" floppy either.

> Don: (not the actor??)

Sorry no. :)

> 	Can you build a bootable disk without the hard drive modules? If you can, simply adding the hard drive modules should not affect the boot process. This is going to be slow and painful with Microware OS9. Thats' why most of us moved to NitrOS9 many years ago.

Actually yes, I can build a bootable disk without the hard drive modules and it will works.  I did that once as well, and tried to use the ezgen software to add the hard drive module to OS9Boot afterwards but it failed in exactly the same way after the alteration.  Of course I am open to the idea that I did the ezgen commands wrong, but no errors popped up when I followed the example in the ezgen manual.

Now maybe I am coming at this wrong to start with.  Was this ever supposed to work with just the normal OS9, or was the expectation back in 1999 that the os was going to be Nitros?  I didn't see anything like that in the documentation, but that may have been the assumption?

My understanding is that Nitros can do everything OS9 could, but OS9 can not do everything Nitros can.

-Don