[Coco] Glenside IDE booting problems

Don Johnson coco at fivejohnsons.com
Thu Dec 2 18:45:36 EST 2010

Robert

Okay, well let me restate my problem and try to fill in some of your questions.

For a first step I copied the drivers available from the Glenside disk to the module directory on a copy of the OS-9 Boot disk.  I re-named the cc3hdisk_16_50.dr driver to cc3hdisk.dr because after many failed attempts the config utility program in the next step seemed to be looking for that name. I did not re-name the h0_16.dd.

I then called the config command from the Boot disk and followed the instructions as directed on screen, as described in the OS-9 manual, Chapter 7, on how to create a new system diskette.  During that process I selected to include the module for printer (P), PIPE, /d0_35S, /d1_35S, and /h0_16.  I selected the TERM_WIN with all the available windows.  I put in a newly formatted floppy and let the work begin in created a new system disk.

When I tried to boot into OS-9 with that system disk (floppy),  which I believe to have been built with a hard drive device, it starts off normal enough with the 'OS-9 BOOT' message on the screen, and then shortly after that the word 'FAILED' appears below and the floppy stops.

That is as far as I have gotten.

There is no error message other than 'FAILED' and I don't get a shell prompt,  so I guess you could say the system locked up, but a reset will take me back to the DECB prompt.
I don't know what the boot process is looking at.  I don't know if there is a /DD descriptor in the OS9Boot, and I don't know what the Init would be either.  Any help in how to figure these things out would be useful information as well.  I'm sure it is probably in the OS-9 manual somewhere but I haven't managed to read that far yet, and neither /DD or Init appear in the glossary or index.

As I stated in my original message I must be missing something.  I've read through the documentation sent with the interface boards and have not seen, or understood there to be, any other steps required.  "All you need to do to make a new boot disk is to add the hard disk driver and hard disk descriptor to your boot file".  I believe I have done that with the creation of a new System diskette with the hard drive driver and descriptor included.  I may be wrong.

While I was successful in running the detect_ide.b09 program to see the ide hard drive attached to the interface, I was not able to format the drive because I could never start OS-9 with a hard drive device name.  It is kind of hard to say "format /h0" when it doesn't know what /h0 is, and I do get an error when I try it but you probably already guessed that.

-Don