[Coco] Christmas Greetings

brjeremy at juno.com brjeremy at juno.com
Fri Dec 24 19:34:03 EST 2010

My dear friends:

It is a little after 12 Midnight GMT and so it is Christmas...

It has been a long, tiring, but very joyful day. I attended the Services at the Cathedral, plus at our small Monastery.

My littlest lads, (the 7-8 year olds) sang at the early Mass this evening and they did a wonderful job. Their little faces were just beaming, at least what I could see of them. It seems that my eyes kept getting somewhat misty. Their voices were so clear, almost like a bell ringing out the joyful sounds. I was so proud of them. It was hard to believe that 20 minutes before the service they were rough-housing about and I had to try and be a bit stern with them. Of course when they looked up at me and said, "We're sorry, Brother, " this old monk began to melt.

My older lads (9-14 years olds) sang at the later Masses along with the Men. (In a traditional Men and Boys choir the Men sing Bass, Baritone, and Tenor, with the Boys singing the Treble parts.) My lads did a few Hymns on their own as well. For a some of my lads, this will be their final Christmas as Boy Choristers. They are growing up on me. I was so very proud of them all. I know that that I have said this before, but here I am, this middle-aged, celibate Monk. Under a vow of poverty. Never had children of my own, and yet for all my roles, Chaplain, Tutor, Instructor, etc., the one that I enjoy the most is being "adopted grandfather" to 72 British Choir boys. After each of the Services I met with the groups of lads and we exchanged small gifts, along with many hugs. The looks on their faces as they each wished me a Happy Christmas was worth more than any material gift one could ever wish to receive.

It is at times such as these when I remember what a truly wealthy man I am. Blessed with my precious lads and all of you, my wonderful friends in the CoCo Community.

May God bless you and those who are dear to you, and may the coming year be one of blessings.

With all best wishes,
Brother Jeremy, CSJW