[Coco] Stories of Internet Connections

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Sun Apr 4 07:28:25 EDT 2010

Back in MA from 1998 to 2004 I had rock solid dial-up.  My modem was an old
33.6k unit and it never dropped below that.  A 56.6k modem would
consistently connect at 56.6 for those who visited with one.  When I moved
to TN the dial-up and phone connections were crappy as all get out.  I once
saw a connection speed of 300.  Dropouts were so common that I took to
making the trip to the library to clean the spam and trash out my E-mail
account so I could download the rest from home and for downloading my major
files.  A neighbor worked for Bell South and had filed several reports
within the company about the problem with the main link to the city station.
Needless to say I was filing frequent outage reports myself.

Then we got phone and their slowest hi-speed internet package from Charter.
Downloading the latest NitrOS9 is but a moments effort and I can get the
latest Linux ISO in less time that it took for NitrOS9 back on dial-up in
MA.  They have gone out a couple times, usually both together, and every
time I called using the cell phone and pushed the button for a human I got a
person in the states who spoke American English with a mid-western accent.
In other words I have had no chronic or long term problems.  They did
finally offer a combination package for TV with the phone and internet that
was less that the separate price.  So at the moment, we are happy campers
out here in the county on the end of this string.

Bruce W.