[Coco] CoCo/PC hybrid....

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Sep 17 16:15:20 EDT 2009

Looks like you're basically saying it would be easier to emulate the
ports through a micro controller connected to a PC USB port like Steve
did. I was thinking at first that the parallel port could be programmed
to do basically the same without extra hardware, but then I looked at
the CoCo and parallel pinouts and discovered that the addressing bits
would be a problem -- they would take some hardware to decode. For that
reason the USB port probably is the best solution. The data lines can be
expanded cheaply though --
http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~ih/doc/par/pportexp/pportexp.asc The following
document deals with the original, simple printer port, not current
EPP/ECP bi-directional ports:
http://et.nmsu.edu/~etti/fall96/computer/printer/printer.html Maybe
access to the parallel port for inexpensive I/O would be a good feature
for a CC4? I do understand that devices that once used the parallel
port, like some external tape and disk drives, have been superseded by
USB technology. As I said earlier, I was just thinking of maximum use of
existing hardware. Even most brand new motherboards still have a
parallel port, all but the most compact anyway. It can be software
programmed just like PIA in the original CoCo. ---------- Date: Thu, 17
Sep 2009 21:53:50 +1000 From: Mark McDougall <msmcdoug at iinet.net.au>
Frank Swygert wrote: > That's pretty slick, but I think what I'm asking
for would be cheaper to > make. You really just need a way to decode the
address bits. Plus it > doesn't really need to read a cartridge, it
could just act like the port > with a wire wrap header for
experimenters. My idea is really to do it as > cheap as possible --
costs is the main reason the CC in an FPGA on a new > board hasn't gone
over well.

You can buy USB-enabled micros for $2 in bulk. Or something like the FTDI
chips which let you bit-bash over USB...

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"