[Coco] GOTO and code maintainability

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Sep 7 22:43:55 EDT 2009

On Monday 07 September 2009, John Donaldson wrote:
>Is not a GOTO the same thing as a JMP or BRA command in Assembly??? I
>have used JMP and BRA commands many times in Assembly programs.

Essentially yes, John.  The problem hits when you have executed a BSR to go
hit a subroutine, which puts the return addy on the stack.  You subroutine
may also use the stack  for anything it wants to save or reference later.

Your subroutine is done so you do a return.  That is fine _unless_ the
subroutine didn't clean up the stack.  If data is left on the stack, then the
return op will pull that data and stick in the program counter and off to
byby land you go.  99% of any programs crashes are, I would wager, faulty
stack housekeeping.

I learned a lot writing in assembly, and the first lesson, 100x more
important than any other, is that the coder, and the coder alone, is
responsible for stack housekeeping.

'vfy' is as stable as I could make it, I spent the last month after getting
the code correct, sticking calls to os9p4, aka F$regdump in it to trace the
fact that the stack was what I thought it was regardless of the paths
actually taken as that code executed.

If anyone has ever made it crash, I want to hear about it.  I haven't so far.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

A good scapegoat is hard to find.
A guilty conscience is the mother of invention.
		-- Carolyn Wells