[Coco] Assembler Question???

Steve Bjork 6809er at bjork-huffman.net
Wed Sep 2 18:36:40 EDT 2009

James,

As many have pointed out the SUB command's Immediate data is the real
number.  (Not already 2's complimented.)

There are many reason for doing this...

First, the SUB command does not just use the Immediate data addressing
mode but other modes to get the number.  Just think, you want need to
run 2's compliment on ever bit of data that used with the SUB command.

Also, self modifying code would not work with the SUB command.

You will need to do the extra work to make a complete SUB command.

By the way, most older 8 bit CPU only had one ALU for both addressing
and accumulator registers.  When the could put more stuff on a chip,
they added one or more ALUs for address calculations to speed up
instructions.  (Less clock states.)

Oh yes, the Great PDP-8 Mini Main Frame computer had NO SUB command.
Even the 6800 had more instructions and addressing modes.

The good old days when men were men and coders went crazy!

Steve Bjork