[Coco] learning assembly

Wayne Campbell asa.rand at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 11 13:22:06 EDT 2009

It seems that the only way I am ever going to figure out the I-Code issues I still have is to learn assembly, and then figure out how Basic09 deals with the data structures and tables it creates. This may take years, considering that for all the time I've spent trying to learn C and C++, and how difficult a time I still have with it. It is a long way from displaying "Hello, world." to understanding how internal tables are constructed, how that data is manipulated, and how it is converted to a different form.

I have been trying to match up the header file with the "source code" generated by disasm for the version of Basic09 included in Level II, since I believe that is the last revision of Basic09 for the 6x09 processor. Unfortunately, nothing in the disassemble appears to be in the same order the header is in. I have no way to know how the assembler built the object file. Did it read the header in order and then re-organize the data? Or did it read sections of the header, based on instructions in the original source?  I just don't know. I guess I'll find out, some day.

Wayne