[Coco] GOTO and code maintainability

Aaron Banerjee spam_proof at verizon.net
Mon Sep 7 09:26:22 EDT 2009

All of us have at least at one point in time either used, or tried to
figure out code containing GOTO statements.  In a recent programming
environment I was in, GOTO (or it's equivalent in whatever language we
happened to be programming) was expressly forbidden -- no exceptions
no matter what.

Just to be an irritant, I chucked a single GOTO (to make a polling
loop) in a relatively simple program, which totally confused my
colleagues.

Given that it isn't abused, I don't see why GOTO makes code any less
maintainable than other obviscation techniques, such as polymorphism
(which, while useful, if abused can lead to very multiple inheritance
or exception-based program control.  At least GOTO tells you where it
is going....

Has anyone else run into this type of "GOTO intolerance" while
programming?

                           - Aaron