[Coco] Telnet for Coco

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Mon Mar 16 00:32:17 EDT 2009

Mike Pepe wrote:
> Do you mean, to allow an incoming connection via telnet to a coco?
>
> Requires a NIC and TCP stack, neither of which exist for the CoCo (yet)

Actually, there was a port of KA9Q/NOS to CoCo OS-9.  On other platforms
this software had a TCP/IP stack, built into the same binary with
various client programs (FTP, Telnet, simple mail client).  On the CoCo,
because of the 64K address space, it had a TCP/IP-FTP binary, a
TCP/IP-Telnet binary, etc.  I don't remember for certain, but there
might have been simple servers as well as clients.  The TCP/IP does SLIP.

The CoCo version has a reputation for being difficult to get working.  I
once tried to use it to do SLIP/FTP between my TC-9 Tomcat and a '386
SLC 40 running SLS Linux (10 1.44M floppy disk images downloaded from
Delphi at 14.4kbps).  My recollection is that I got it to work, but it
was agonizingly, unusably slow.  Much slower than sz/rz on the same
machines.  I hope I don't reignite an argument by pointing out that the
Rockwell 65c52 (a dual 6551 chip) on the Tomcat, plus the SLIP overhead,
may have been to blame.

JCE