[Coco] Driverwire server

Boisy Pitre boisy at tee-boy.com
Wed Mar 11 06:14:25 EDT 2009

On Mar 11, 2009, at 3:46 AM, Bob Devries wrote:

> As a further thought to that...
>
> Would it be feasable to allow the whole hard disk on the server coco
> be used as the file system for the client coco? I'm thinking /H0@
> here.
>
> Needless to say, there's a chance that only one hard (or virtual)
> drive could be used in this manner.

Bob,

The only technical hurdle that I can see in your idea is that the
server CoCo would have to respond to requests from a client CoCo at
115,200bps under NitrOS-9 at a moment's notice.  The DriveWire
protocol is designed to expect a server which will not loose any
incoming data from the CoCo when *it* wants to get a sector, write a
sector etc.  Another CoCo running OS-9 would have to spend a lot of
time watching the bit banger to see when data would arrive, and that
would slow NitrOS-9 on the server CoCo down considerably.  Writing a
server in assembly for BASIC would probably work better since there
would be no expectation for multi-tasking in that environment, and the
server CoCo could spend all its time waiting for the client CoCo to
send requests.

I'm not trying to discourage you from writing something, just be aware
that this would be an issue that you would have to find some way to
work around.

On a related note, an OSK machine would probably have enough hardware
and software horsepower to act as a server, assuming its serial ports
can attain 115,200 bps.  I don't recall the MM/1 being able to drive
its ports that high, but the AT306 certainly can.

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with.