[Coco] GIME chip data collection

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Fri Jun 19 09:28:40 EDT 2009

Nick

I need a bit more info to help you:

On all the chips the coding following the 6xx/7xx/8xx remain the same?

"V CO30"

Also the second line do they remain the same across all variants? If they are different
how many variants are there?

This is my best guess as to what info is placed on the chip.

the 6xx/7xx/8xx more likely is not a date code. I doubt that it is a fab code either. Three
digit date code followed the convention of first digit of the date code is the last digit of the
year and thenext two digits would be the week. An example would be 745. That would
corresspond to xxx7 week 45. The weakness of this is the decade and century
information is lost unless that is stamped elsewhere. Then that would be duplicate info
and space is limited on the top surface.

The next five digits "V CO30", could be fabrication facility and/or mask set. each time
you create a mask set for a particular IC you have to identify the many mask layers. An
IC can have upwards to 25 or more mask layers to fabricate a single wafer. Any change
to one layer would generate a new mask set ID. These two were often three to five digits
with a combination of numbers and letters.

The actual part number: TCC1014 any improvements to it or revisions for problems or
even a die shrink would change this part number by addign a revision letter after it. Thus
you get

TCC1014
TCC1014A
TCC1014x

Then you have the coustomer's name and copyright symbol and year made followed by
country of origin and the last letter is anyone's guess.

Interesting that you mention Brother Jeremy's Prototype Coco3 and the markings of that
GIME chip. Robert Gault and I have had a conversation about the GIME chip off line and
one point I made to him about the prototype board is that by the date codes I see on the
chips, the earliest that particular board could have been made was late June/ July time
frame of 1985!! The ltest date code I see, with a quick glance, on any chip on the
prototype board was 8523. Twenty-third week of 1985. This would lead me to believe that
a first engineering run of the GIME chip could have been late 1985 or very very early
1986, say January/February time frame. The fact that you mentioned the part number as
TCC1014-Tequila makes me believe that Br Jeremy's GIME is a preproduction chip.
Very well that chip I mentioned about to Robert.

Saying this is not in passing. The prototype board has two 74LS189 chips. These are 16
bit by 4 bot static RAMs. Two chips would make a 16 byte SRAM.exactly the size of the
color palette RAM. Now here is the interesting part. There is also a TBP28S42 chip on
the protoype board. This is a 512 byte SRAM. Yes a 512 byte SRAM. Looking back at the
Tandy R&D memo at items #5, this could be that realization. Furthermore Br. Jeremy's
Coco3 may be the only one out here in the world that can do the "256 color" mode. If so
then it would be displayed in the 160x200 resolution mode max.

hope this helps some

james