[Coco] Crunch?

Thu Jun 4 12:50:06 EDT 2009

Hi,

No can do!!

1. There cannot be any DECB Data file restrictions.

2. There cannot be any restriction on where a file is placed on a DECB disk.

Think of the case where a binary DECB data file is an OS-9 floppy contents.

The file is placed into Sector 0.

That would be a DECB disk even though it looks like an OS-9 disk. (with DECB
FNT added)

It might work initially as both a DECB and OS-9 disk.

1. There cannot be any restriction on an OS-9 file contents.

2. There cannot be any restriction on where a file is placed on a OS-9 disk.

A OS-9 file might be a valid DECB FNT contents.

This OS-9 file might end up in the correct place for an DECB FNT.

This is harder to make one that would work for both initially.

The only foolproof way to fix this is to build a time machine and go back
and tell Jeff about this problem and have him require a header on all files,
something that I remember one emulator tried to do.

And then insure that all programs follow this requirement.

Jeff knew nothing about OS-9 existence initially so he cannot be blamed.

I think he was made aware of OS-9 only after the CoCo 3 emulator was first
released.

SHF

"Bob Devries" <devries.bob-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote in
message news:D613D6721C32430DA56224BBC25AB18A at master...