[Coco] 128k Bubble Memory

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz dennis-ix at maltedmedia.com
Sun Jul 26 08:16:25 EDT 2009

At 08:00 AM 7/26/2009, you wrote:
>Doing some GOOGLEing yesterday, there is some interesting work being done
>with bubble logics.  The thing I thought most funny was the units had to be
>"heated" up to 30-40 degrees C just to operate properly.  Where would we be
>today if all our computers doubled as a hot plate, and liked it<g>.

If I recall correctly, the crazy power supply requirements were
because the unit included its own heater. Can't recall, but do
remember the project being a bear start to finish. Even the magazine
screwed up, accidentally publishing the placeholder copy of the
circuit board instead of the final one! The placeholder copy hadn't
finished the power routing correctly.

I'm really glad that era is over. I made lots of friends, but truly
lost my shirt at Green Mountain Micro ... it took me 20 years to pay
off the debt. I only started the company because so many people
assured me they wanted to buy the products instead of making their
own boards or typing in programs. And then most of those same folks
melted away once the products were released. Even the best-selling
items only ever sold a few hundred -- I think "Learning the 6809"
topped the list at about 500 copies. (Taking stuff to the dump
yesterday brought a big sense of years lost to technology that would
quickly become obsolete.)

Dennis

Country Stores book!
<http://www.amazon.com/Country-Stores-Vermont-Dennis-Bathory-kitsz/dp/1596294752/>