[Coco] [Color Computer] Telnet program?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jul 24 11:43:53 EDT 2009

On Friday 24 July 2009, richec wrote:
>> >,snip>
>> >Shhhhhh.... That's what I do... don't let my students know what they do
>> > not know 8-)
>>
>> Chuckle, but how many of them are subscribed to a mailing list for a 28
>> year old computer?  I think I'm pretty safe.  And you, I've seen on this
>> list clear back in the Princeton days I believe.
>>
>> Someone could make a similar remark about what I've done over the last 60
>> years, and you would be right.  But some of those ex employers _still_
>> think I can walk on water.  Who am I to correct them?
>>
>> It sure makes me feel good though. :)
>>
>> It still brings a grin to my face 32 years later when the arthritis is
>> yelling at me from every joint, to recall a paramed who was giving me a
>> physical in '77 to see if I was worth a $50k life policy I'd asked for to
>> go with the office door that (for the first time) said "Chief Engineer",
>> and when I thought he was about done, asked me to take off my shoes.  I
>> said "What's my flat feet got to do with this?"  He replied "Nothing, but
>> I've been told you could walk on water and I wanted to see if your feet
>> were webbed."  I got a good belly laugh out of that, said "Some folks are
>> easily impressed." & then showed him that they aren't of course. :)
>
>Will, I have been a CoCo user since 1984, and I have immensely enjoyed this
>mailing list and the old Princeton m/l over the years. While we both know
>there was only one who really walked on water, I have greatly appreciated
>reading your techincal and non-technical responses on this list.

Actually, weren't there two?  I believe Peter did one time also.

>As for the 28 year old computer, I actually bring it to the college and hook
>it up to an over head, thanks to Roy Justis, to show the students what a
>really good 1980s OS could do with 512k when IBM PCs could only dream of
>multitasking.

And os9 could do it better than the Redmond versions can do yet I believe.
And one of the things that even amigados 3.9 still couldn't do, was sector by
sector file locking.  I could start the assembler building a longer program,
and my vfy would be a good example, switch windows and do a list of the
listing file the assembler was generating, and it would dutifully follow the
assemblers output, waiting for the lock on the next sector to be released, so
it could be read and displayed.  There was a very narrow time window where the
write lock was released before the next sector was locked, but in all my years
on the coco, I can only say that list actually passed the assembler and read
garbage 2 times.  Out of thousands of times I actually did that, watching for
errors and getting them grokked much quicker that way.

Now of course, the linux machines are so much quicker that this argument is
moot.  But it sure helped, a lot, when I was coding on the coco3.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Creditor, n.:
	A man who has a better memory than a debtor.