[Coco] CoCo3 graphic file formats

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Thu Jul 23 16:04:13 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 07:38:29PM -0400, John Strong wrote:

> Working on some ideas for the next fest, can ayone point me to docs
> on .mge, .cm3 , etc.

I got a rare one for you!  .hr0 .hr1 .hr2 .hr3

I only know of one other person who ever used this... :-)

HR files are bitmap graphic files of the CoCo 3 type 8 screen
(320x200x16) produced by a simple routine, shown in the included
hisave.bas & hiload.bas files.

Since the CoCo 3 hi-res graphics screens aren't in BASIC's
memory, these routines work by using the GIME's MMU functions to
map the consecutive 8K blocks of the screen into BASIC memory,
then savem's the individual block.  The result is 4 8K files,
each in the usual CoCo .bin file format.  The loader works the
same way, mapping in one of the 8K blocks of graphics RAM and
loadm-ing the appropriate file into that block.

The result is 4 files, each 10 bytes longer than 8K (the size of
the .bin header & footer).  If the file is named TANK, the
results are TANK.HR0, TANK.HR1, TANK.HR2, & TANK.HR3.

5 'HILOAD copyright 1989 Falsoft & Bill Burnico
10 INPUT"NAME:";N$
20 INPUT"HSCREEN#";H
30 HSCREENH
40 FORI=&H70TO&H73
50 POKE&HFFA2,I
60 F$=N$+"/HR"+CHR$(I-64)
70 LOADMF$
80 NEXTI
90 POKE&HFFA2,&H7A

5 'HISAVE copyright 1989 Falsoft & Bill Burnico
10 INPUT"NAME:";N$
20 FORI=&H70TO&H73
30 POKE&HFFA2,I
40 F$=N$+"/HR"+CHR$(I-64)