[Coco] 6551 at 115200 bps

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Mon Jan 19 00:54:30 EST 2009

If it only has 2 terminals, it's gotta be a crystal. The typical metal
can oscillators you're going to see, like this:

1- buy one of these:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1
&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=27879&

2- remove the 1.8432MHz crystal from the RS232 pack

3- Piggyback the oscillator power and ground on top of some other 14 pin
TTL in the pack

4- fly a wire jumper from the oscillator output to TxC,RxC, and XTAL1 on
the 6551

5- see what happens.

I'm probably going to try this, just because I want to see what happens.

As to why setting the divider to 0000 seems to have the same effect- I
don't know. According to the datasheet it shouldn't.

Also yes, I'm aware that there are a lot of people using terms
interchangeably- much to the confusion of others!