[Coco] CoCo Wireless RS-232 Pak

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Wed Feb 25 09:44:00 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:03:11PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 February 2009, Roger Taylor wrote:
> >Just a note to those who asked, the pak can be ordered now.  There's
> >no fancy ad or graphics but enough info is there to give you an idea
> >of what the pak does.  Besides pretending to be a Tandy Deluxe RS-232
> >Pak, it's also wireless.  :)  Any PC with a bluetooth connection can
> >see the CoCo and connect to it, and the rest is practically
> >transparent to the CoCo.  No extra software is needed.  Your
> >bluetooth equipped PC is ready to go.  Load your favorite RS-232 Pak
> >compatible software on your CoCo.
> >
> >It works on all CoCo systems.  Let me know if you have any other
> >questions and I'll be glad to answer.
>
> What sort of a usb<->bluetooth adapter would I need on this linux box, given
> that the range is on the order of 20 feet, though the wooden floor of this
> house?

I'm of the impression that there really aren't that many
bluetooth device variations out there "in the wild".  FWIW all the
bluetooth-equipped laptops I have on-hand ATM (I get a lot of them
through work) have bluetooth working out of the box with Fedora.

Since I know you tend to be up-to-date with kernel revisions I would
guess that you would be fine with about anything you'd buy.

One downside is that setting-up rfcomm (i.e. serial-over-bluetooth)
still requires a little jiggery-pokery on Linux.  I guess it isn't
commonly needed enough to have justified a point-n-drool interface. :-)
If you need help with that once you get the card, feel free to contact
me off-line.

John