[Coco] Reading DOS Rom

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 07:36:03 EST 2009

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009, John Eric wrote:

> my programmer didn't support the 68xxx series /rom/eproms, so I stuck a
> 24-pin socket on top of a 28-pin socket bottom justified with pins 24,
> 21 and 18 bent out.i then wired pin 24 of the 24p socket to pin 28 of
> the 28 pin socket, pin21 of 24p to pin 2 of 28p, pin18 of 24p to pin 23
> of the 28p. Then i placed the rsdos rom into the 24p socket and plugged
> the contraption into my eprom burner and read it as a 2764. Of course,
> you should verify my wiring to make sure i haven't messed anything up.

I ended up doing the same thing, but with machined-pin sockets.  Not
really a lot of fun, but it worked fine.  I'm going to put a ZIF socket on
the top to avoid repeated inserts and removals.

After capturing the image, I was able to create a dual-personality ROM
for my floppy controller.  Standard Tandy image in the bottom half and
Cloud-9 HDB-DOS in the top (I'm using Mark's little adapter).

I'd actually like to mount a switch on the cart case to select between
them, but it doesn't look like there's enough clearance anywhere.

Has anyone else done this?

Steve