[Coco] OT: Help with horrible bad NAS purchase, Linux EXT3 file system blindly used.

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 03:03:30 EST 2009

If you're willing to take the thing apart, you should be able to plug
the drives directly into a computer and use standard diagnostic tools.

Hard drives often keep useful statistics and diagnostic information
about themselves which can be accessed with tools like:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki

EXT3 does utilize a list of bad blocks. To my knowledge the linux ext3
implementation does not actually manage this list, instead there are
external tools for creating,  viewing and manipulating this list. In
linux the standard tool is called "badblocks".  If your NAS is running
linux, then it may work the same way or use the same tools.  However,
just because it uses an EXT3 filesystem does not mean that it is
actually running Linux.  EXT3 is a standard that has been implemented
on many operating systems, so the ext3 software in your device might
work differently.

Your drive itself probably also tracks bad blocks and maps requests
for them to spare good blocks.  This may be happening "in the
background" where the nas software doesn't even know about it.  the
SMART tools mentioned above can query the drive controller and find
out about these things.

EXT3 is an extremely reliable and capable filesystem.  It sounds like
you're just getting some junk drives.  If the seller won't accept a
return, you could probably replace the disks with better quality ones
and still use the enclosure.

Good luck
-Aaron