[Coco] rs232/bitbanger in MESS?

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Thu Dec 3 08:34:40 EST 2009

I heard back from the MESS team and a full serial I/O port is not
implemented. That's why the RS-232 ROM does nothing. However, MESS will
send data to a file to simulate printer use and that leaves an opening. :)

I have gotten this far. Start MESS from the command line:
mess coco3 -prin COM1
Now connect the PC to a Coco over a null modem cable and run on the Coco
10 FORI=0TO1STEP0:PRINTPEEK(&HFF22);:NEXT
 From MESS send anything to the bitbanger port with LLIST for example.
You will see toggling of the RS-232 bit at $FF22.

I've tried Ultimaterm at both ends but so far only receive garbage at
the Coco end of the connection. Probably the data being sent is not in a
format that a terminal program can interpret. Perhaps recording the bit
changes (stream of 0/1) will indicate what is being sent and therefore
how we might use it.