[Coco] How do you clean oxidized IC legs?

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 20:08:39 EDT 2009

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009, Christian Lesage wrote:

> I've been restoring a few classic computers lately, and I found that some ICs
> (especially TI and MOSTEK ones) had their legs so much oxidized that they
> turned black. What is the best way to clean those legs?

If they're really that bad, put a little drop of brass polish on the end
of a Q-Tip and roll it against the leads from both sides.  You may have to
use a couple if a lot of gunk comes off.

If you are in a low-humidity situation, work on a piece of tinfoil and
make sure your hand or wrist is in contact with it and the chip to keep
you at the same potential.

Works like a charm.

Steve