[Coco] Dragons

Ciaran Anscomb cocomalt at 6809.org.uk
Wed Apr 8 16:42:29 EDT 2009

Roger Taylor wrote:

> I never was a Dragon user, never used one, never read the manuals,
> never had a reason to go there....
>
> So don't shoot me for asking this.
>
> Can a CoCo game pak, or RS-232 Pak, work in a Dragon?  Someone
> e-mailed me this question and.... heck, I just don't know the answer.

Hardware - unless it conflicts, yes - the interface is the same.

Software - often!  Quite a lot of the CoCo game carts actually work
unaltered on a Dragon because their ROM calls are made via the indirect
jump table, which also exists in the Dragon ROM.  And if they use
joysticks, the keyboard matrix difference doesn't matter much either.

The same cannot be said in reverse, sadly - most of the Dragon game
carts I've looked at make pretty direct ROM calls.

..ciaran
--
Ciaran Anscomb, Perl/C Hacker