[Coco] Drivewire 3 issues

Boisy Pitre boisy at tee-boy.com
Thu Apr 2 13:09:03 EDT 2009

On Apr 2, 2009, at 12:04 PM, Christian Lesage wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just got Drivewire 3 burnt onto an EPROM and put it in a ROM Pak.
> It is a great product and a marvelous gift to the CoCo community.
> Thanks Cloud-9!
>
> I have two issues with Drivewire 3:
>
> 1. Is it just me, or DW3 disables the CoCo 3 "Super" Extended Color
> Basic? The startup message reads:
>
> DISK EXTENDED COLOR BASIC 1.1
> COPYRIGHT (C) 1982 BY TANDY
> UNDER LICENSE FROM MICROSOFT
>
> HDB-DOS 1.1D DW3 COCO 3
>
> The SECB commands are all disabled. I especially miss WIDTH and
> PALETTE (since I use a monochrome monitor). More importantly, some
> games have a Basic loader containing SECB tokens, and I cannot run
> them for this reason.

Christian,

Something is wrong.  You should see the entire SECB sign-on on a CoCo
3, and all the new SECB commands should work.

What disk controller are you running the ROM in?

> 2. I tried booting NitrOS-9 using the "nos96809l2_dw3.dsk" disk
> image. It does boot, but it doesn't allow me to input anything from
> the keyboard. However, I noticed the CoCo sends TIME requests to the
> DW3 host every minute, so I guess it is not frozen. Well, it's been
> 20 years or so since I last played with OS-9, so maybe there's a
> magic keystroke I don't remember.

These are not problems that I or others have experienced.   There must
be something about your setup that is different.  Please provide a
list of what equipment you have.