[Coco] 3.5" drives on coco 3

Fred D. Provoncha fredprov5 at usfamily.net
Sat Sep 27 23:48:14 EDT 2008

For years back in the late '80's and early '90's I ran my OS9 Level 2
system on my Coco3 with just one 5 1/4" drive. I even wrote my fractal
generator Mandel09 on that system, using just that one drive. It's a
pain to have to keep swapping disks all the time, but it's doable. A
couple of years after I got my system back up and running, around 2002,
I finally added a 3 1/2" drive to the system. I modified the drive
cable, and crammed the 3 1/2" drive into my FD-502 case. It was
difficult to get the cable connected to both drives; not much space
inside that case, and the cable was just barely long enough.

RSDOS sees the 3 1/2" drive exactly the same as how it sees the 5 1/4"
drive. From RSDOS's point of view, there is no difference. When RSDOS
formats a disk in the 3 1/2" drive, it formats it as a 35 track,
single-sided disk. It only uses 186k of the 720k that is on the 3 1/2"
disk. That's fine with me, I don't care about wasting all that unused
space on the disk. The reason I use a 3 1/2" drive is not to get more
space on a disk, but because 3 1/2" disks are more durable and easier to
find than 5 1/4" disks.

Nevertheless, I find I'm not getting as much use out of my 3 1/2" drive
as I thought I would. When working with RSDOS, I still use my 5 1/4"
drive more often. That's because a lot of my RSDOS games that are on 5
1/4" disks are copy-protected and so cannot be transferred to 3 1/2"
disks. Also, a lot of RSDOS games are hard-coded to run in Drive 0; my 3
1/2" drive is wired up to be Drive 1. That also prevents me from booting
up OS9 from a 3 1/2" disk. I haven't been able to figure out how to
modify OS9Boot to have the system boot entirely from Drive 1.

The 3 1/2" drive is nice to have, though. Anything not copy-protected
and not hard-coded to use Drive 0 has been copied onto 3 1/2" disks, and
using them is sweet!

Fred Provoncha
Stansbury Park, UT

--- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! -- http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html ---