[Coco] hard disk performance

Tim Fadden t.fadden at cox.net
Sat Sep 27 01:55:50 EDT 2008

Robert Gault wrote:
> Tim Fadden wrote:
>> ???  I am confused.
>>
>> According to your test,  it took 25 seconds to read 1,024,000 bytes
>> or, one megabyte.  If you devide 1024000 by 25 the result is 40960
>> closer to 40kbytes/sec or  327Kbits.  Pleas show me your math to get
>> 12k/sec  12k what?  bits bytes blocks.
>> I am sure I am missing something here.  Just not sure what.
>>
>> Your test is exactly what I did and got 30secs for a megaread pass.
>> to me that seems to be 34kbytes/sec.
>> It must be that I am confused just how much data megaread is
>> reading!  is it reading megabytes, or megabits?
>>
>> Whatever it is reading, its a bunch faster than floppys! ha ha ha
>>
>> Confused in AZ. Tim
>>

>> Robert Gault wrote:
>>> Discussing test results is pointless unless the test is specified
>>> precisely and all reported test adhere to the same protocol.
>>>
>>> So, to propose a specific test, get Megaread from the NitrOS-9
>>> distribution and transfer it to your Coco hard drive system. Then
>>> execute the command sequence
>>> load date
>>> date t; megaread </h#@; date t
>>> where # is the number of the drive under test.
>>>
>>> Results on my Ken-Ton scsi adapter, 6309 modified RGB-DOS driver,
>>> and Segate ST-296N hard drive are
>>> Fri Sep. 26, 2008 07:12:32 PM
>>> Fri Sep. 26, 2008 07:13:57 PM
>>> for one pass of megaread. That should be ~12k/sec.
>>>
>>> The same test using an Adaptec 4000A board with a Tandon TM-252 gave
>>> 11.4k/sec.
>>>
>>> My modified driver uses the TFM command to transfer data.
>>>
>>> --
>>

> The time interval is 13:57-12:32 which is not 25 seconds; which would
> be just great. 12:60-12:32=28 sec. 13:57-13:00=57sec 28+57=85 sec.
> 1024K/85sec = 12.05 K/sec
>
> If the above is wrong, then my system is much better than I thought.
> Any comments?
Perhaps I am going blind?  I didn't notice the minute.   I see you did
load date.  Did you also load megaread?  Although that would only
account for  much time. I tried a few after unlinking date and megaread,
and it only added 2 seconds to the time. You got me wondering If I
messed up on my own test! so I went back and re-did it. With stock os9 I
still get 31secs for a megaread.  Also if interested, I just tonight got
a Nitros9-6809 bootable floppy using only a coco and vcc!  Put the same
scsisys.dr and h0.dd on it with the disto4_clock2.  Disapointingly it
gets lower megareads!  It is taking 36 seconds.  a loss of 5 seconds.
bummer....  Well by the end of the weekend I hope to have Nitros9-6309
running, and will give you an update on that one.