[Coco] NitrOS-9 dcheck and hard disks

Chuck Youse cyouse at serialtechnologies.com
Thu Sep 25 20:50:32 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 20:00 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 25 September 2008, Chuck Youse wrote:
> >So dcheck doesn't like my 500-700MB disks.  I run dcheck and it likes to
> >crap out with messages like "segment out of range" on disks that I am
> >99% certain are perfectly clean (like, I just formatted them and copied
> >a few files over).  Is this not the right tool for large disks?  Am I
> >running across a bug?  Am I doing something wrong?
> >
> >C.
>
> ISTR I ran into something similar with the 3.2.7 version of dcheck.  Robert
> Gould then did some looking, as did I, and the upshot was Robert adjusted a
> thing or two, which may or may not be in the 3.2.8 version of Nitros9, but it
> should be in a fresh cvs checkout.

Hmm..

cyouse at dev:~/src/nitros9/level1/cmds$ cvs status dcheck.asm
File: dcheck.asm       	Status: Up-to-date

   Working revision:	1.9
   Repository revision:
1.9	/cvsroot/nitros9/nitros9/level1/cmds/dcheck.asm,v
   Sticky Tag:		(none)
   Sticky Date:		(none)
   Sticky Options:	(none)

It's the latest source.  What you were saying about cluster sizes makes
perfect sense, I just thought this would have been long put to bed (I
remember calling an Rottinger's RCIS system in the 90s, he had 300+ MB
disks on his L2 system).

Maybe Robert Gault will pipe up on this issue within a few days, if not,
I'll see if I can track down the problem in dcheck.asm.  The good news
(for the moment) is that it's not some sort of phantom read/write
problem in my HDISK driver.

C.