[Coco] Drive wire Drivers

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Sep 25 20:10:34 EDT 2008

On Thursday 25 September 2008, John T Chasteen wrote:
>Hi coco fans
>
>I have been getting help with my Drive Wire installation.
>
>When I install the PC software on Xp notebook, I get error msg
>"Unable to open com port"
>
>I found a cable from Radio Shack $35 (USB to DB9).
>I don't want to buy the cable until I find a driver file.

I believe the radio shack cable makes use of the PL2303 chip, at least the one
I have does, and that chip is a known bug-ridden chip.  The linux driver has
been patched 2 or 3 times, but I gave up on that one and now use the cables
with the FTDI chips.  I have 4 of them in this system now, and they Just
Work(TM).  They will show up as /dev/ttyUSB# when found in any event.

For some UNK reason the PL2303 likes to throw away the first byte of a packet
about 5% of the time, leading to mass confusion on the part of heyu, and the
various ups monitor daemons.

Avoid it like the plague in other words.