[Coco] Possible Coco patent?

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Mon Sep 22 21:15:54 EDT 2008

If it makes you feel batter Ward, I get the same thing using Firefox under Windows XP. But it also give me a message about a bug report. I looked that up, and it's something about a Apple Quicktime plug-in that no longer works with Firefox, I think it's Quicktime v.3.1. I didn't think it worth the trouble to install anyway, as the bug report says it's a "solved" problem, or to install a newer version. If I really wanted to look at it I guess I could fire up IE... I *think* I left it on this system... may have expunged it...

A patent is granted to protect an inventors work, much like a copyright protects a writer. Otherwise, someone would go and spend a lot of money developing something, bring it out on the market, then have 20 others make similar copies without giving the guy a dime for his investment. It's limited to 17 years because that's about the life span of a good invention. After that time it can be copied, but the inventor should have had ample time to recoup his investment by then. 17 years sounds long, but a lot of people build on the idea of the original patent and introduce improved versions later, provided a better idea that's totally different hasn't come along. In this day and age it usually has, especially concerning electronics, but some things are pretty much the same as they were 20 years ago. Like the guy who patented AC systems using freon...

There are ideas that cost too much for an individual to develop, but a guy can sometimes do enough to get a patent on it. Then they go and try to interest big companies in the idea. They turn him away, wait for the patent to expire, then bring it out without paying the guy a dime. Sometimes they even use the patent filing as a basis for developing a product, but still have to wait for the patent to expire before introducing it. Now THAT is plain WRONG! I've heard of the above, but can't prove it. Might be an urban legend, but somehow I doubt it...