[Coco] NitrOS9 dsk's

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Sep 20 18:58:39 EDT 2008

richec wrote:
> Hi Boisy, Good to see you are still here.
>
> I have a couple questions... will one really. I know that you are a hardware
> kinda guy, but I am trying to get the latest Nitros running on David Kell's
> emulator and when I type in DOS I get nothing except the RSDOS prompt. I
> downloaded the DSK images from the Source Forge and loaded the impage into
> the simulated drive. Am I missing something here? TIA

NitrOS-9 works on the Keil emulator. I just tested 6309 NitrOS-9 on with
the 6309 version of Keil. There is one problem that must be satisfied
for this to work.

NitrOS-9 is distributed on a JVC type disk image. While this works with
the Keil emulator it is not the native format. Best results or maybe the
only way to run NitrOS-9 is from a .dmk image. For some, this could be a
Catch-22 situation.

I use several emulators so have available wimgtool from MESS. I used
this program to create an 80 track double sided .dmk OS-9 disk image. I
mounted this image and a NitrOS-9 distribution disk (renamed to .os9) in
MESS and booted NitrOS-9. Just to be sure I then formatted the blank
.dmk image and then backed up the JVC .os9 disk to the .dmk disk.

The new .dmk version of the NitrOS-9 distribution disk booted and ran
normally using the Keil emulator.