[Coco] OS9-L2 vs NitrOS9

Chuck Youse cyouse at serialtechnologies.com
Sat Sep 20 08:30:42 EDT 2008

On Sep 20, 2008, at 1:31 AM, George Ramsower wrote:

> This is why I haven't acquired any of the latter items available to
> date. I have asked the vendors if those drivers would work on my
> OS9 L2 system and haven't received replies.
>
>  So there are two questions in this post...
>
> 1. Will a Nitros9 driver work on a Mircroware OS9 system on a 64K
> CC  or a CC3?
> 2. Have we abandoned OS-9?

OS-9 drivers are interchangeable with NitrOS-9 drivers.  When I write
drivers, etc. I refer to the OS-9 Level II Technical Reference Manual
and this works out fine.  As is the usual case, Level I drivers may
differ from Level II drivers, but this is true of OS-9 as well as
NitrOS-9.

I'm not sure I understand your second question; NitrOS-9 _is_ OS-9,
with a slightly different name.  It carries bug fixes, feature
enhancements, etc. that make life a lot easier.  E.g., ever tried to
use the stock FORMAT command to format a hard disk?  You won't get far..

In my experience NitrOS-9 is 99% compatible with OS-9.  The 1% is
mostly due to stupid things like syntax changes that are easy to fix.

I tend not to use the 6309 versions, btw.  Just 6809 NitrOS-9.

C.