[Coco] Hitachi 68B09EP for sale, custom DECB EPROMs

Chad H chadbh74 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 19 12:46:37 EDT 2008

Well I know it's not a 6309, it's apparently Hitachi's version of the
68B09EP made by Motorola, found in many CoCo 2's and 3's.   I don't know if
Hitachi's version is more reliable, runs cooler, or whatever.  I really
haven't noticed, I just know they work atleast as good.  I don't really get
into any 6309 specific coding or anything so having one or the other makes
no difference to me.

Thanks for pointing out another source for these.  I've done business with
Jameco before, great people.  Are they the EP version's?  must have the EP
on the end of the part number (6309EP) or is wrong type.  I'm sure most
people here know why but for those that don't, the EP means it utilizes a
external clock generator of the system for clock speed.  The others (i.e.
6309p) have internal clocks and, if I'm not mistaken, won't work because
they won't run at the proper speed.

Two things.

1. The Hitachi HD68B09EP is not a 6309.  It does not have magical
powers.
2. If you want 6809s, Jameco (http://www.jameco.com) sells them for
$4 or $5 each.  They are not scarce.

C.