[Coco] Broken CC3

Bob Devries devries.bob at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 22:53:17 EDT 2008

I should tell you the story of a similar experience I had back in the
day....

Someone brought a coco3 and disk drive to me (remember, I'm an Aussie),
complaining that the disk drive always returned I/O errors. Since I was the
local Coco hardware guru, I agreed to check it out. They brought the
computer and the disk drive to me.

I set it up at my house, and lo and behold, everything worked fine. I showed
the unit working to them, and they agreed that maybe it was just a glitch,
so they took it home. Next day, they called me to say that the setup still
didn't work at their house. I agreed to visit them to check out the
situation. The computer just would not read disks, and DSKINI failed at the
verification phase.

I took the computer to my workplace where I had a more extensive electronics
workshop, and set it up. Sure enough, it didn't work there either. So I set
to work connecting an oscilloscope to the disk drive to check some logic
levels. Now here's the interesting part:

As soon as I connected the ground clip of the scope probe to the zero volts
of the drive, it worked! Go figure.

I went through the disk drive electronics and compared it to the schematic,
and found that there was a connection missing between the chassis ground and
the zero volts of the PSU of the drive. I installed the required link, and
the unit worked flawlessly after that, even at the owner's home.

So why did the system work at my place but not at the owners house and not
at my workshop? Simply this: both the owner and my workshop used a
television set as monitor, but I was using a CM-8 monitor. Neither TV set
was grounded through the mains, but the (aussie) CM-8 was. My assumption is
that the lack of a ground connection to the computer, and the missing ground
link in the PSU of the drive, somehow made a ground hum loop, which
interfered with the working of the drive.

In Australia, our mains powered equipment normally has a ground pin
connected, unless that equipment is double-insulated. The disk drive power
supply is not double insulated, and has a 3-pin power plug, as does the CM-8
monitor. Most TV sets are double-insulated, however.

Why was the link missing? I heard much later that Tandy Australia imported
and re-powered a quantity of US built disk drives (FD-500) and sold them
here. Obviously, someone omitted the link in the conversion to aussie power.