[Coco] Broken CC3

George Ramsower georgeramsower at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 19:36:33 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Darren A"
> This sounds a lot like a blown HALT in the CPU. From what you say, the
> crash doesn't occur until the head is over the correct track, and the
> sector is ready to be read. That's when the HALT line is activated.
> What's strange is that you say you've replaced the CPU. It seems
> unlikely that both CPU's would have a blown HALT line, but who knows.
>
> You can test it by starting up the CoCo in Disk Basic using a standard
> CoCo disk controller. Then enter the folllowing program:
>
> 10 POKE &HFF48,3
> 20 POKE &HFF40,128
>
> When you run this program, the CoCo should freeze for about 7 1/2
> seconds before the OK prompt appears.  If it crashes, or if the OK
> prompt never appears, or if the OK prompt appears immediately then the
> HALT line is the likely culprit.
>
> Darren

Well, it came back exactly as you suggested. About eight seconds.

First, I got excited and re-crimped the controller's edge connector on the
Y-cable and tried it
Same stuff.
So I typed in that simple two liner.... sounds familiar.... Ranbow's "One
Liner" then "Two liner"

Heck!

 I'm reluctant to do so but, I may have to take the steps to put another
board into that cabinet to see if the problem is the coco or something else.
This is going to be a major project(for me), I'm lazy.
I think I have another CC3 somewhere that I could put into it. I'll look
around.

Meanwhile,

More suggestions are welcome.