[Coco] Breaking windows in B09

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Fri Sep 12 08:13:47 EDT 2008

George Ramsower wrote:
> In my CNC Coco stuff, I'd decided to use a printer to display data that
> otherwise would be lost.. such as what was printed to the screen and
> scrolls up into oblivion as I enter the edit mode.
> Using the printer was okay. Used a lot of paper, of course.
>
> Then I decided to use an unused window.
>
> In my startup file, I open four windows. All are text only 80X24. The
> first three, I iniz them and the fourth window is left for printing to.
> Never used it, just had it there "just in case".
>
> Yesterday, I tried to open that window for writing, in Basic09. The
> window vanishes.
>
> I can (in Shell+2.1)
>
> echo Hello >/w4
>
> and it works.
>
> When I :
>
>  open #path4, "/w4":write
>
> In Basic09,
>
> The window vanishes.. or at least it vanishes some time from the point I
> start the main program and it opens the path or, when it prints the data
> to that window. Perhaps I should make it print to that window later in
> the program, to give me time to [CLEAR] to that window to see when it
> vanishes. Right now, I'm thinking it vanishes upon opening the path.
> It's still in the module directory (dirm and mdir)
>
> I hope there's enough info here to enable someone to offer a suggestion
> as to how this happens and a way to fix it..
>
> I ran across this problem quite a few years ago but, that was a long
> time ago.
> My addled brain can't pull up this file.... lost sectors from excessive
> cleaning with alcohol and G-Forces from inadvertant mis-advertures on
> motorcycles.
>
> .
>
> George

I think this is just Basic09 not the result of recent Sourceforge code.

The trick to see the shell-less window is to send something to it from a
B09 program and then CLOSE the path to the window.

The window is not destroyed, you just can't see it. It can be reached as
many times as needed by just OPENing and CLOSEing the path.

If this is a problem, why not dump info to a file on a drive?