[Coco] OT: No surprise, I suppose...

wdg3rd at comcast.net wdg3rd at comcast.net
Wed Sep 10 23:39:21 EDT 2008

He turns 18 Friday.  I suspect the CV is just a little fanciful.  He's been fiddling with computers for going on seven years.  You don't actually achieve competence, let alone expertise, on those sort of apps unless you're doing full-time tech support* or development.  A school kid (unless he's being home-schooled) doesn't have the spare time for that.

* I used to have a list of over 1200 apps that I considered myself competent to expert in.  I stopped counting when I realized that 80% or so were old enough that potential employers didn't care, as the software was no longer being used except in small niches and they had never heard of the rest anyway.  (I was a CSR at sundry RSCCs for over half of the 80s).
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

"What I know [about the art of the sword] boils down to this:  If you see a guy running at you with a sword, put two rounds in his chest to slow him down, then one into his brain to finish him off".  Aaron Allston, _Sidhe Devil_

From: Chuck Youse <cyouse at serialtechnologies.com>