[Coco] COCO to PC transfer and Using VCC

Wed Sep 10 22:07:04 EDT 2008

Another option for getting the game into your Windows PC is to use
DriveWire:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~mmarlette/Cloud-9/Software/DriveWire.html

It'll let you hook up your CoCo to a PC via a serial port (using a
Serial-to-USB converter if necessary).  The PC then becomes a file
server for the CoCo.  You can copy files from floppy disks through the
CoCo onto the PC and vice versa.

The big issues are whether your original floppy disks containing the
game are copy protected, and if you used a non-standard format for
storing data on the disks (e.g. abnormal sector sizes).  In these
cases, it is a bigger challenge getting the game onto a Windows PC and
working in an emulator.

There are some other options, such as hooking up a 5 1/4" 360k-
compatible floppy drive into your PC and using some CoCo-oriented disk
copying utilities.  I'm not familiar with what this involves.

I'm sure somebody out there has tried exactly what you want to do, so
someone may even have Windows PC disk images ready to go.  The VCC
emulator is usually pretty good for compatibility, but I've found that
not everything will run in it.  All you can do is try--either it'll
work or it won't!  I wish it did a better job with color artifacting
(like the Java-based Mocha CoCo I/II emulator).  And yes, VCC will let
you "flip" disk images on the fly, as you require--disk access
shouldn't be an issue.

You may also wish to consider releasing your game into the public
domain as some authors have now done.  (See http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/approvals/approvals.html)

-- JP