[Coco] Help me digitize Color Computer Magazines

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Fri Sep 5 20:22:25 EDT 2008

Dude.

Ok.  Take a breath.

1.  I appreciate the work you have been doing in developing new hardware
for the CoCo and would really love to see the designs you are working on
come to fruition.

2.  Bob Devries has also done quite a bit of good in this community and
on this list, including posting MM/1 schematics, as just one recent
example.  Whatever you may think of Bob's evangelical sig, I don't think
I have ever seen him criticize anyone on this list for their presumed or
stated beliefs, morals, or lack thereof.

3.  I agree that Bob's criticism of Tim's grammar could have been worded
a little more nicely, and I also thought it came across as a bit harsh.
But your response to Bob was way over the top.

4.  "You whack-job Christians are all hypocrites, certainly the least
Christ-likeamong us."  If the implication is that all Christians are
"whack-jobs", that's a pretty ludicrous assertion, but I suppose you are
entitled to that opinion.  I'll certainly grant that many of those who
are most vocal and self-righteous about their christianity are
hypocritic, un-Christ-like, whack-jobs.  But I think you are assuming a
whole lot more about Bob's beliefs and attitudes towards other people
than you can reasonably deduce from his sig, however 'in-your-face' it
may seem.  You may be right, but I certainly don't think Bob's postings
to this list, including the one in question, reflect religious
intolerance on his part.  Hypocracy?  Very likely most Christians, from
Pentacostals to Mennonites to Eastern Orthodox must have a degree of
hypocracy.  But in fact, I doubt there is a person on the face of the
earth who always lives up to his or her own ideals.

It seems to me that you may have a major beef with the self-appointed
'religious right'.  As a serious Christian, so do I.  When they try to
insist that everybody behave according to their simple-minded,
self-contradictory, literal understanding of the Bible, Fundamentalist
'Christians' give all of religion a bad name.  It's enough to make one
vote a straight Democratic ticket.  But reductionists and literalists of
any philosophical stripe have a serious problem.

While I don't proselytize or verbally advertise my religious beliefs, I
don't think that Bob's sig rises beyond the level of reasonable
self-expression, like wearing a T-shirt with a message printed on it.
And it certainly has nothing to do with his critique of Tim's grammar.
Could Bob have done without the "no excuse" crack?  Yes.  Was Bob trying
to force his religious views on anyone on the list?  No more so than
anyone wearing a "Coca Cola" shirt can be said to be trying to force you
to drink Coke.  You may or may not like it, but I don't think it's out
of bounds.

5.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I applaud what Tim is doing, and
have spent more time this afternoon than I should have working on
magazine digitization tasks, and I've helped Tim find a couple of bugs.
I for one do care about spelling and grammar, and would like to see it
fixed if I notice an error.  When Bob said there was "no excuse" for it,
I think he was going too far and perhaps coming off a bit rude.  But he
wasn't telling Tim to "get his head out of his ass".

Let's all take a breath and get back to the CoCo.

JCE