[Coco] Question about BASIC coding guidelines

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Thu Oct 30 02:57:00 EDT 2008

The claim about performance gains is certainly true, though so small I doubt
you'd notice it in most cases.  I wouldn't bother declaring scalar variables
unless they are used really, really often.  (Might be worth it for FOR/NEXT loop
variables, if the loop is executed a lot and if BASIC's FOR/NEXT processing
doesn't directly store the variable's address with the other loop parameters
when the loop is entered, which I'm not sure of.)  But putting the most
frequently used arrays first in the DIM statement would be good practice.
Since RS BASIC doesn't distinguish between integer and floating-point variables,
I see no particular gain in readability from declaring scalars, nor any method
of doing so other than initializing them to some value, which itself chews up a
bit of computing time.  (Conceivably, it is legal to put a scalar in a DIM
statement, but doing so also requires some extra computing time.)  Under RS
BASIC all variables are initialized to zero anyway on their initial use or when
a CLEAR statement is executed.

Art