[Coco] Linux RBF filesystem support

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 07:48:34 EDT 2008

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, Boisy Pitre wrote:

> I have been considering taking ToolShed into a new direction: rewriting it in
> Java.  Right now the pain of having to cross compile and juggle different
> versions for different platforms is a headache.  Porting ToolShed to Java
> would eliminate this (though this would break FUSE support).  Perhaps just
> porting tools like rma/rlink to Java would be a start.  I have already
> started a from-scratch write of RMA in Java.

Oh, my god no...  Please do not do that.  My feelings about Java are even
less benevolent than Chuck's are relative to Linux :-).  Seriously, at
work (developing design-automation software) we refer to Java as "..write
once, debug everywhere) due to the fact that our average box requires
between 4 and 5 complete JVM installs to support all the "portable"
applications that "just run anywhere".

There's the tool that only works on IBM Java 1.4, not Sun 1.4 mind you,
just IBMs release.  There's another that requires an ancient 1.3 JVM and
won't bloody run on anything newer.  And on, and on.

Then, there's the inevitable situation where, when the throughput of your
workstation grinds down to a halt, you discover one of the Java binaries
off in the background using 100% of the CPU doing Lord-Knows-What and
requiring a SIGKILL to correct.  The threaded model always sounds good on
paper, but it can be pathologically complex to assure correctness and
avoid deadlocks and race conditions.

I've done a reasonably large amount of cross-platform coding in my day and
find that with contemporary ANSI compliant compilers, C and C++ are at
least as portable as Java applications if you stay away from questionable
constructs.  More so, if you take into account that the language is not a
moving target.

Even with GUI environments there are now reasonable cross-platform choices
(Qt, anyone?).

If you cannot be disuaded from this move, would you at least ensure that
the final CVS repository for the C based version is up-to-date with your
sandbox and that it stays available?

Steve