[Coco] Decypher this code!

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Oct 5 14:26:43 EDT 2008

I took Typing I and II in high school and also owned a few old manual
typewriters before I bought my first CoCo 2.  In fact, I typed many
of my first BASIC programs on a manual typewriter that weighed
probably 40 lbs.  It was good practice.  I couldn't "weight" to get
my first computer.

Anyway, the messed up typing you showed appears to be from an old
typewriter that had the paper grip lever not fully engaged (or
worn).  The paper was allowed to shift slightly left and right over
time which is why the letters seem to float upwards and
downwards.  I've seen it many times.

At 12:27 PM 10/5/2008, you wrote:
>Here is an image from an UnderColor article:
>
><http://cocomag.dyndns.org/UnderColor/850108/large/850108-011.850108-003-to
>c-4.cktct-art-2.jpg>
>
>Near the end of that image there is some seriously messed up typesetting.
>(No offense Dennis!) :)
>
>Here is what I came up with:
>
>95
>CLS(0):FORX=1TO26STEP2:Y=(X-1)*16:T2=(X-1)*16*16:PRINT at T,P$(X,1);:PRINT at T2,
>P$(X,2);:NEXTX:END
>
>Here are scan of the whole article for context:
>
><http://cocomag.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/show_magazine.pl?magazine=UnderColor&iss
>ue=850108&pagescans&images=850108-010,850108-011,850108-012>
>
>And here is a close up of the listing:
>
><http://cocomag.dyndns.org/UnderColor/850108/large/850108-011.850108-003-to
>c-4.cktct-lst-1.jpg>
>
>Thanks for any help!