[Coco] VCC, VHD, NitrOS09 3.2.6 and RGD Dos question

Ed Orbea ed.orbea at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 23:03:56 EDT 2008

This question will probably have to be answered by Robert Gault as the
guru of RGBDos, and I'm sorry if I seem to ramble, but....

I am running VCC 1.40 in a Windows XP, SP3 laptop.
VCC is configured as
6809 @ 1mhz speed with 512k of RAM
Multipak with: slot 1 empty, slot 2 empty, slot 3 FD-502, slot 4 Hard
Drive + Cloud9 RTC
FD-502 if configured with no overclocking, RGBDos
FD-502 drive 0 is Nitros9 40tkdsdd, ver 030208, 6809, disk 1 (no
Nitros9, Bootlist, scripts directory)
FD-502 drive 1 is Nitros9 40tkdsdd, ver 030208, 6809, disk 2 (with
Nitros9, Bootlist, scripts directory)
FD-502 drive 2 is empty
FD-502 drive 3 is empty
HD Drive 0 is the Nitros09 VHD

I want to upgrade the current Nirtos-9 on the VHD from 3.2.6 to 3.2.8,
so I:
saved boot as boot_vcc
saved emudsk as emudsk.dr
saved h0 as h0_emu.dd
saved d0 as d0_emu.dd
all from the default VHD boot disk (which does boot 3.2.6 with /h0 as /dd)
copied these files into the appropriate folders on nitros9 3.2.8 disk 2

Then I used copy -r to replace all the files in CMDS, NITROS9, SYS, DEFS
on the VHD from the 3.2.8 release disk

Then I made a new mb script using boot_vcc
Then I made a revised standard.bl file usine the emudsk.dr, h0_emu.dd
and dd_emu.dd, as well as d0_40dd.dd, d1_40dd.dd, d2_40dd.dd, cloud9
cloud9 clock file, w1 to w3 and so on.
I them made sure that dmode for /d2 showed: dns=01, cyl=28, sid=02, anf
formated it as a 40tkDSDD disk

Then I executed my modified mb to create a new 3.2.8 boot disk, and
populated it

I am able to boot Nitros-9 from this disk, and /dd is indeed /h0, so...
So Far So Good
Then I tried to backup 0 to 254 which is the boot floppy on the VHD
But, when I run link.bas fron drive 254 (the tools disk) it fails, so I
thought that if I formatted a 35thSSSD floppy and made it a boot disk, I
could execute the backup and subsequent link command, so could
"basically" boot without any floppy drive

So I created a new blank 35tk, SSSD from the VCC menu (as a dmk type of
file, just like above, but as a 35tkSSSD disk)
After booting the release disks I used dmode to change /d2 to cyl=23,
sid=01
Them I used the modified mb script to create a new boot disk and
'sparcely' populated it.
When I insert this disk in /d0 and boot, it displays 6 "." showing it
has read 6 sectore of LNSO and then hangs.
It does not matter if I have the system configured to use a HD
controller or not, nor does it matter if I have selected Disk Basic or
RGBDos, but when I replace it with any other "boor disk" then the boot
completes successfully

I have done an ident -s to compare the os9boot file on the 35tkSSSD disk
against the 40tkDSDD, and they exactly match.
The CMDS dir on the 35tkSSSD disk contains: shell, grfdrv, utilpak1,
wcreate, swread and dmode
The root directory on the 35tkSSSD disk contains OS9boot, sysgo and the
CMDS directory
Dcheck doesn't show any problems with the 35tkSSSD disk.

So what did I miss, what do I need to check?

Thanks

Ed Orbea