[Coco] CoCo BASIC tokenizer

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sat Oct 11 17:30:00 EDT 2008

Does anyone know if there's a 32-bit 80x86 command-line tool for
converting ASCII BASIC listings into tokenized format... for the CoCo
1,2,3 ?  I know that decb.exe can  do this, but not without putting
the source file onto a virtual disk at the same time as far as I
know.  I need the target file to be written as a PC file.

If there's such a tool available, we'll be able to add it to the
Rainbow IDE 2.0 as another builder (like a compiler, assembler or
linker), allowing us to type in or load existing ASCII BASIC programs
(some not even for the CoCo) and convert them to CoCo binary BASIC
format before the disk imagers even see the file (like decb.exe,
imgtool.exe, os9.exe).

Rainbow 1.x adapts to Boisy's decb.exe tool for tokenizing BASIC
listings while they are copied onto the virtual disk, which is nice,
but I'm trying to organize these functions better and leave file
processing out of the disk imaging code.

Rainbow IDE 2.0 is not released yet but today I compiled my Jeweled
game to a virtual disk and it ran, and next will be the massive
Projector-3 system built onto two virtual disks after which I'll know
(if it runs), the IDE is functioning as intended for "assembly" purposes.

Next I'll be working with compilers, as soon as tonight.  It'll be an
all-nighter so I've got the coffee pot and CoCo mug ready.

To sum things up a little, I'm simplifying the build process even
more making it terribly simple to build CoCo stuff if you've already
been using Rainbow 1.x.  There will be less options in the sidebar
but more functions, by condensing the controls to deal with more
automated functions.

I want to support the VCC CoCo 3 emulator eventually but right now it
can only launch as a command to mount a binary file but not a virtual
disk.  When VCC can be called as a command along with a virtual disk
OR binary file, those frustrated with M.E.S.S. (or not) who want to
experience an even quicker and better launch into their CoCo
creations should be amazed to see this work seamlessly in the IDE
just as it always has for the M.E.S.S. emulator.

The trade I'd give for someone writing or coming up with a Windows
32-bit command-line utility for converting an ASCII BASIC CoCo file
into a tokenized version is a free copy of the Rainbow IDE 2.0 when
it's released.
--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com/random_thoughts_august_3_2007.asp