[Coco] xmess on CentOS 5.2...

Brett Heath bkheath at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 14:19:35 EST 2008

On 11/28/08, Michael Robinson <deemcr at robinson-west.com> wrote:
> I'm using it to emulate a COCO 3, but I'm running into trouble.
>
> First off, is the command line the only way to control the emulator???
>
> I tried to grab something from sourceforge called xmess-gui, but it is
> in French.
>
> Is there a way to change disks?  I'm trying to play Gauntlet II.
>
> Another thing, I downloaded DOWNLAND.BIN but I can't figure out how
> to get it to work.  I'm used to dsk images, not bin files.

Having just figured some of this out the other day I can sympathize;-)

The TAB key brings up a menu. If it doesn't work try hitting
Scroll-Lock to toggle
the keyboard emulation between "full" and "partial" (whatever that
means). In "partial"
emulation the TAB should bring up the on-screen menu.

The file manager submenu let's you set the images used for floppies.

As for using .BIN files the only thing I can think of is to use
another emulator/utility
to import them into a .dsk image. Vavasours CoCo 2 emulator will run
in a console
under dosemu and provides a function to do this. I think it even has a
utility program
to do this, which should run in a dosemu terminal.

HTH

Brett K. Heath