[Coco] cocotape.exe project

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Mon Nov 17 22:06:12 EST 2008

Ok, some progress as of 11/17.

cocotape.exe sourcefile -o=test.wav

A test WAVE file is being created full of "silence" samples
($80).  The file is loading in WinAmp okay.  No issues.
A clicking sound WAVE file was also created and loads in WinAmp,
makes the pop sound okay, no issues.
8-bit, mono, 11025 hz, same as the casout.exe format which seems to
create quality tape WAVE files.

Now, the raw sample data inside of a 'casout.exe'-generated WAVE
files doesn't look at first like sine wave samples I'd expect.  The
silence portions look as expected, filled with $80's, but I'm
wondering why the other samples aren't consistent.

For example, a very small portion of the very beginning of bedlam.wav
(created by casout.exe) is as follows.
This is a hex dump, 2 characters per 8-bit sample.

You would think that a digitally-generated stream of 1200hz and
2400hz sine waves would consist of the same bytes sequences for a
1200hz wave, and a 2400hz wave.
This doesn't appear to be the case with what's created from a .cas
file into a .wav file using casout.exe.  The samples ARE 8-bit raw
samples, unsigned.  That is, $80 represents 0 volts already.  (scratching head)

A5EE8E1149B2EDF9CA7D31051351BCEC
671060C3F5F2BE6922041A64D7D74D10
7ECFFAEAAB5A17042976ECBB311E97DE
FAE199470F073894EEA51639A7E8FAD2