[Coco] CoCo-chat

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Nov 16 12:15:52 EST 2008

At 10:35 AM 11/16/2008, you wrote:
>Hi Roger,
>
>I remember on several occasions helping you test the site by having multiple
>systems up and running, each with at least one browser session logged in to
>the site. With the new policy of requiring user accounts to access the site
>I won't be able to do that any more.

>I understand that in the past you had some problems with people hacking the
>site, so I more than understand the reason to require IDs.

Surely during the period the system let people drop in and pick any
handle, we had more chatters.  But we had this poker-site guy who
kept coming into the room and telling me to "could you please stop
doing that??" everytime I booted him out for posting spam.  Many
times we had non-CoCo people dropping in thinking it was some other
kind of chat, etc.

Now I can block IP ranges, members, domains, etc.  All things
combined I think we've controlled the spam to a degree where 1 or 2
per year just doesn't bother me.  I go in, delete it, kill the
spammer's account, and make sure the permissions for posting are still strict.

Oh yea, the member system won't keep somebody from having two
accounts on the site and being in chat twice.  There's no real reason
to do that other than testing.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com