[Coco] MPROM woes (cured)

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sat Nov 15 20:15:18 EST 2008

At 06:45 PM 11/15/2008, you wrote:
>At 06:24 PM 11/15/2008, you wrote:
>>You DID notice that it came with a harness for (3) 9V batteries,
>>right? As I said - I have NO idea on the condition of that unit. It
>>was in a box I got from Art before he moved, hence why I wouldn't
>>"sell" it to you. Wouldn't have been right... Tony
>
>I resoldered the broken battery harness and it works great.  I do
>recall with my old MPROM board I owned years ago that if the 9v
>batteries were drained even just a little, it had trouble
>writing.  And it didn't take long at all to suck the power out of
>the batteries.  That was the part I hated the most, and not having a
>25-27v unregulated power supply to feed into the board instead of
>the battery leads.  I have several 12v regulated supply units, but I
>don't want to risk trashing the board by doing any experiments like
>that.  MPROM boards are hard to come by.

Ok, the problem was that the source voltage was just not high
enough.  I put 3 brand new alkaline batteries in the harness and now
the unit is writing a 27128.  :)
This is an issue I dealt with many years ago, going through many
batteries just because they fell below something like 8.5v and didn't
supply over 25v to the regulator.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com